The administrative centre of the district is Naberezhnye Chelny. Area – 1744,0 square km. The district was founded in 1930. The city of Naberezhnye Chelny is situated in the north-east of the republic, has a harbour on the left bank of the Kama river, 225 km to the east from Kazan, 17 km to the north-east from the railway station Krugloe Pole. The first settlements on the territory of Naberezhnye Chelny were known since 1626.