The administrative centre of the district is Bulgary. Area – 2028,0 square km. The district was founded in 1930. There is a pier on the Volga and an airport. The city of Bulgary is situated on the left bank of the Kuibyshev reservoir, 140 km to the south from Kazan, and 100 km to the north from the railway station Cherdakly. There is a pier. The settlement was founded in 1781.