Tatarstan

Tatarstan

  • Bolgar Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve

    Location: Spassky district, Bolgar

    The Bolgar reserve is situated to the south of the town. Nowadays this place is not only a most important tourist centre and a constant object of interest for scholars, historians, archaeologists, orientalists, art historians and so on but also a place of pilgrimage for Muslims seeking to complete a small "hadj" to holy places. Over the centuries the architectural monuments which have come down to us have stirred the imagination of many people. Peter the Great who was here in 1722 issued an edict for the protection of this territory. Catherine the Second while visiting these places in 1767 responded in the following words: "…whatever has remained here was built of very good stone, the Tatars show great honour to their place and travel to these ruins to pray to God". But a certain persecutor, Archbishop Luka of Kazan under the late Empress Elizaveta, grew envious and destroyed a great deal and out of his built a church and cellars and used it for a monastery. Although there is an edict of Peter the Great to do no harm and not to destroy this ancient place.

    The Bolgar architectural-archaeological complex covers 380 hectares. It consists of the Bolgar settlement (the 10th-15th centuries) – a cultural layer of the centre of Volga Bolgaria – the town of Bolgar, the economic, political and cultural centre of Volga Bolgaria. And also the Bolgar ulus (nomad camp of settlement) of the Golden Horde within the bounds of the fortifications in the form of a rampart and moat 5.63 km long, which surrounded its territory from south, west and east from the 13th to the beginning of the 14th centuries.

    There remnants of monumental stone and brick structures of the second half of the 13th to 14th centuries – The Northern and Eastern Mausoleums, the Chyornaya (Black) Chamber, the Malyi (Small) Minaret, the Khan’s Burial Vault – have been preserved on the territory of the settlement. As well as stone and brick ruins of buildings of public and religious significance like the Cathedral Mosque, the Red, White and Greek Chambers, The Khan’s Bathhouse and mausoleums. They have survived from the once populous town of Bolgar in the period of its prosperity in the second half of the 13th and first half of the 14th centuries.

    At the present time more than 100 remnants of ancient buildings have been identified. The ancient part of the town from Bolgar times in the north-eastern part of the monument dating back to the 10th and 11th centuries has been discovered, the growth of the territory of the settlement has been traced and dwelling, artisan and also architectural and defensive buildings have been studied. This is a Muslim holy place, a place of pilgrimage as well as a place for tourist excursions and a place for holding international events (the 1100 anniversary of the adoption of Islam by Volga Bulgaria, and the Ist and IInd World Congresses of Tatars, etc).

    For more infomation visit https://vbolgar.ru/?lang=en

     

     

  • "Ekiyat" Tatar State Puppet Theatre

    Location: Kazan, Peterburgskaya St, 57

    "Ekiyat" ("Fairy tale")Tatar Puppet Theatre was founded in 1934. It is one of the leading puppet theatres of the country. About 100 people works in the theatre, 25 of them are professional actors, performing both in Russian and Tatar languages. The repertoire of the theatre includes performances for children of different age and for students.

    Since 1974 "Ekiyat" Tatar State Puppet Theatre is a member of the International Organisation of puppet theatres - UNIMA

    For more information visit http://ekiatkazan.ru/

     

     

     

     

  • About Mari-El

    About Mari-El category

  • Agryzsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Agryz. Area - 1796,6 square km. Population - 36,8 thousand people.

    The city of Agryz is situated in the north-east of the republic, at the slopes of Sarapul heights, on the bank of the river Izh. The distance to Kazan is 304 km. There is a railway station. Agryz was founded in 1915. In 1938 was transformed in a city.

     

    Coat of arms 

    Flag 

     Agryzsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism  Agryzsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Aksubaevsky district and its sights and attraction

    The centre of the district is Aksubaevo. Area - 1440,1 square km. Population - 33,1 thousand people. The district was founded in 1965.

    The settlement of Aksubaevo is situated 210 km to the south-east from Kazan, on the river Bolshaya Stulcha (a tributary of the river Cheremshan), 58 km to the north from the railway station Nurlat.

     

     Coat of arms

     Flag

     Aksubaevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism  Aksubaevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Aktanyshsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Aktanysh. Area - 2037,8 square km. Population - 31,7 thousand people. The district was founded in 1965. There are two piers in the district - Derbishinskyi and Azyakul, and Aktanysh airport.

    The settlement of Aktanysh is situated in the north-east of the republic, 381 km from Kazan, near to the Nizhnekamsk reservoir, 65 km to the south from the railway station Neftekamsk. Population - 6,7 thousand people.

     

    Coat of arms 

    Flag 

     Aktanyshsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism  Aktanyshsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

     

  • Alekseevsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Alekseevskoe. Area - 2080,1 square km. Population - 26,1 thousand people. The district was founded in 1964.

    The settlement of Alekseevskoe is situated on the bank of the Kuibyshev reservoir, 108 km to the south-east from Kazan, near to the Nizhnekamsk reservoir. At the settlement you can find a ferry over the Kama river. Population – 9,3 thousand people.

     

     Coat of arms

    Flag 

     Alekseevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     Alekseevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Alkeevsky district and its sights and attraction

    The centre of the district is Bazarnye Mataki. Area - 1726,8 square km. Population - 22 thousand people. The district was founded in 1965.

    The settlement of Bazarnye Mataki is situated on the bank of the Aktay river (a tributary of the Volga river), 152 km to the south-east from Kazan, 72 km to the north-east from railway station Bryandino. Population – 5 thousand people.

     

    Coat of arms 

    Flag 

    Alkeevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     Alkeevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Almetyevsk and its sights and attractions

    The city of Almetyevsk is situated on the slopes of Bugulma-Belebey heights, on the left bank of the river Zai (a tributary of the Kama river), 279 km to the south-east from Kazan, 13 km to the east from the railway station Almetyevsk. Population – 151 thousand people. The settlement was founded in the 18th century, in 1953 was transformed in to a city. The city is the centre of Almetyevsky district. It is a major centre of the republic's oil industry. There are manufactures of machinery and equipment for the oil industry, drilling companies. 

     

    Coat of arms

     

    Almetyevsk, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

     

  • Almetyevsk Picture Gallery n.a. G. Stefanovskyi

    Location: Almetyevsk, Stroitelei pr.35

     

    Established on the initiative of Gennady A. Stefanovsky, an art school principal. His collection comprising over 600 items laid the foundation of the gallery. In 1987, the gallery was incorporated into the Fine Arts Museum as an affiliate.

     


     

  • Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Almetyevsk, Lenina Str. 37 (see the map below)
     
    The history of the Almetyevsk tatar Drama theatre originates from 1944. Modern dramaturgic creations form the base of theatre`s repertoir.

    For more information visit http://almetteatr.ru/

     

    Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    to the top

  • Almetyevsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Almetyevsk. Area - 2500,2 square km. Population - 191,6 thousand people. The district was founded in 1930.

    The city of Almetyevsk is situated on the slopes of Bugulma-Belebey heights, on the left bank of the river Zai (a tributary of the Kama river), 279 km to the south-east from Kazan, 13 km to the east from the railway station Almetyevsk. Population – 151 thousand people. The settlement was founded in the 18th century, in 1953 was transformed in to a city.

     

    Coat of arms 

     Flag

     Almetyevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

    Almetyevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism 

     

     

  • Amutbayev Menzelinsk State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Menzelinsk, 423700, M. Jalilya Str. 19

    The Menzelinsk Tatar Drama Theatre was opened in April, 1935.

    For more information visit http://minzalateatr.ru/

     

     

  • Anan'ino burial ground

    Location: Elabuzhsky district, near to the Anan'ino village

    The site is situated on the river Toima. This world famous archaeological monument of the first millennium BC had given its name to an entire Iron Age culture. The burial ground was discovered by the famous archaeological scholar from Moscow University Professor K.I. Nevostruev with the active assistance of I.V.Shishkin (the father of the artist I.I.Shishkin). Academician Yuryi Gotet believed that in the first millennium BC a major trade centre existed here, the final point of one of the northern branches of the Great Silk Road. From here furs from the north travelled south – to Central Asia and Persia, east – to China and India, and west – to Byzantium, the Arab Caliphates and further on to Europe. On the right bank of the Kama in the area of Elabuga was the centre of tribes of the Anan’ino culture going back to the early Iron Age. These tribes covered a huge territory from Sura to Vetluga in the west to the upper reaches of the Kama and Belaya in the east.

    During that period there was a growth in population, the appearance of dwellings above ground, large settlements along rivers and arise in the cultural level. The Anan’ino people engaged in slash and burn agriculture, fishing and bee keeping and their articles of bronze, iron and also ceramics were notable for their high quality, evidence of the beginnings of applied art. The religious beliefs of the tribes were expressed in the cult of the sun and water and worship of various animals. The clan and tribal society began to disintegrate as military tribal and clan leaders emerged and there were wars of various kinds in which some of the prisoners were enslaved.

    The Anan’ino tribes maintained close links with their neighbours, the inhabitants of the Urals, the Upper Volga and with the Scythians. During excavations of the burial grounds and settlements articles made by Greeks and Egyptians have been found as well as those of Central Asian and Iranian origin.

     

     

  • Annunciation (Blagoveshchenskyi) cathedral

    Location: Kazan, Sheynkman Str.

    The cathedral is a unique 16th century monument, the most ancient of the Orthodox cathedrals in the central Volga region. Pskov master builders under the direction of the famous Postnik Yakovlev built it in 1556. Originally it was made entirely of stone with 6 columns, 5 cupolas and 5 apses, and with two chapels on either side or a porch running between them which curved round the central cube of the cathedral. This, the main Christian place of worship in Kazan, had additions made to it right up to the middle of the 19th century. The architecture of the cathedral displays traditions from different schools and different periods. From its initial form the central body of the cathedral with the one middle drum has survived to this day as have three apses, the foundations of the two stone side-chapels, traces of the interior fresco and a number of decorative elements. An addition to the number of unique items worth seeing at the cathedral is a stone with an inscription in Arabic of an epigraphic nature, which was discovered in the ancient wall masonry under a layer of plaster in the course of restoration work. The builders used it as a door crosspiece.

     

     

     

  • Apanaev (Masjid) mosque

    Location: Kazan, Kayum Nasyri Str. 29

    It is one of the earliest stone Muslim buildings, which have been preserved in Kazan. The mosque was constructed from 1768 to 1769. The baroque style is reflected in decorative motives of varying origin – Tatar, Russian and west European. Mosque was built during the first third of the 19th century already bear the imprint of classicism – this is a characteristic type of mosque with the minaret on the roof. The two-storey building included service and household premises (a stockroom, library, and woodshed, etc.), and warehousing for merchants. On the first floor might be classrooms for the madrasah or mekteb (elementary school) of the parish.

     

     

  • Apastovsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Apastovo. Area - 1047,5 square km. Population - 23,1 thousand people.

    The village of Apastovo is situated near to the river Sviyaga, 109 km to the south-west from Kazan. Population – 3,8 thousand people.

     

     Coat of arms

    Flag 

    Apastovsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism 

     Apastovsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Arsky district and its sights and attraction

    The centre of the district is Arsk. Area - 1843,7 square km. Population - 51,3 thousand people. The district was founded in 1930.

    The settlement of Arsk is situated on the bank of the river Kazanka (a tributary of the Volga river), 65 km to the north-east from Kazan, there is a railway station. Population – 13,7 thousand people. The settlement was founded in 13th century by the khan Batyi.

     

     Coat of arms

    Flag 

    Arsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism 

    Arsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism 

     



  • Atninsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Bolshaya Atnya. Area - 681,3 square km. Population - 14,4 thousand people. The district was founded in 1990.

    The village of Bolshaya Atnya is situated 53 km to the north from Kazan, 30 km to the south-east from railway station Kurkachi. Population – 2,9 thousand people.

     

     Coat of arms

    Flag 

     Atninsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     Atninsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

  • Aznakaevsky district and its sights and attractions

    The centre of the district is Aznakaevo. Area - 2141 square km. Population - 66,6 thousand people. The district was founded in 1931.

    The settlement of Aznakaevo is situated on the slopes of Bugulma-Belebey heights, on the bank of the river Styarlya (a tributary of the Kama river), 376 km to the north-east from Kazan, 34 km to the north-east from the railway station Yutaza. Population – 35,4 thousand people. The settlement was founded in 1762, in 1859 was transformed in to a village, in 1956 – into a big settlement, in 1987 – a city.

     

    Coat of arms

    Flag 

    Aznakaevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

    Aznakaevsky district, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism