• Karim Tinchurin Theatre Festival

    Location: Kazan

    he Republican Karim Tinchurin Theatre Festival. The festival is held once every year two years in Kazan and features professional Tatar theatres from Tatarstan, Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).

  • Elabuga historical-architectural and art museum-reserve

    Location: Elabuga

    The museum-reserve was created in 1990 to preserve monuments of material and spiritual culture. The area is about 491.5 hectares. Within its territory at the present time are 226 monuments of history, architecture and town planning which are under state protection, and in total there are up to 700 buildings and installations in the town and elements of them which are of architectural or other value.

    For more information visit http://www.elabuga.com/



  • Belish

    Belish is a very famous Tatar dish, a king of any table at any celebration in Tatarstan. Do you want to know how to make belish? Here is the recepe.

     Belish, Tatar national cuisine

    600 g Flour
    150 g Water or Milk
    33 g Sugar
    120g Melted Butter
    80 g Eggs
    Minced meat:
    900 g Beef or
    900 g Goose or
    900 g Duck or
    900 g Lamb
    1500 g Potatoes
    Melted Butter
    Salt, Pepper to taste

    Make unleavened dough and divide into two parts. Roll out one part of dough into sheet of 4-5 millimeters thick and put on the frying pan, greased with fat. Put minced meat in the middle of dough. Then roll out the other part of dough, cover balish. Make a little hole in upper flat cake and pour broth into it. Bake in the oven for 1,5-2 hours. 
    Minced meat: cut meat and potatoes into small pieces and mix them. Add onion, salt, pepper and mix.


  • The village of Bilyar - Bilyar State Historical, Archaeological and Natural Museum-Reserve

    Location: Alekseevskyi district, Bilyarsk, Arbuzov Str. 2

    This is one of the most important places linked with the history of the Bulgar State. Bilyar (from the Bulgar – "great") was the biggest of the towns not only of Bulgaria (Suvar, Oshel’, Dzhuketau, etc) but also of medieval Eurasia as a whole (according to archaeologists, bigger than London or Paris of that time).

    From the 10th to the 13th centuries Bilyar was the capital of the Bulgar State. Its area reached 10 million m². The territory included a citadel, inner city, outer city and trading quarter. In the citadel protected by a wooden wall up to 10 m thick, there was a large cathedral mosque, royal cemetery, palace complex, storerooms and workshop. Consisting of big white stone, brick and wooden buildings the town made a striking impression on travellers. One of them, Dzhevaliki, compared its buildings with those of Rum (Constantinople). In the autumn, 1236, the Mongols destroyed Bilyar. In the 14th-16th centuries Bilyar was an ordinary town of Bulgaria and the Kazan Khanate. In the 17th-18th centuries it was a fortified town along the old Zakam’e line which protested against raids by Bashkirs and Nogais. In the 19th century it was famous for its pottery.

    For more information visit https://xn--80abeiejgafejid0blpls8x.xn--p1ai/



  • Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Almetyevsk, Lenina Str. 37 (see the map below)
    The history of the Almetyevsk tatar Drama theatre originates from 1944. Modern dramaturgic creations form the base of theatre`s repertoir.

    For more information visit http://almetteatr.ru/


    Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre



    to the top

  • Sviyazhsk State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve "Island-City Sviyazhsk"

    Location: Sviyazhsk, Zelenodolskyi district (see the map below)

    The ensemble of buildings of the former town of Sviyazhsk has exceptional and universal value. It includes some of the original structures of the town, which have been preserved. One of them is the wooden Trinity (Troitskaya) Church (1551) with its interior and iconostasis, which is one of the few monuments of Russian wooden architecture of the 16th century to have survived. Next to it is the St. Nicholas (Nikolskaya) Church (1556). The Assumption (Uspenskaya) Church (1560) should be mention, which were built with the participation of the famous master stone mason Postnik Yakovlev (Barma), who created St. Basil’s on the Red Square in Moscow and the Kazan Kremlin. There are 1,080 m² of ancient frescoes have been preserved in the Assumption Cathedral, which for the breadth and variety of their biblical themes and the perfection of their execution are unequalled among the few surviving examples of fresco art of the 16th century. They differ substantially in their technique and use of colour from Novgorod, Pskov, Vladimir-Suzdal’ and Moscow fresco painting.

    It is also unique as an incomparable example of ancient Russian wooden town-building technique and for the sheer scale of the operation to construct and settle the town fortress (75,000 people built it in 24 days) there has been no equivalent anywhere in the world.

    For more information visit https://www.ostrovgrad.org/


    Sviyazhsk - town-islandPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-islandPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-islandPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-islandPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev


     back to the top


  • Kamal Tatar State Academic Theatre

    Location: Kazan, Tatarstan Str. 1

    One of the best national theatres in Russia. Laureat of the First Turkish World Theatres Festival (Turkey).

    For more information visit http://www.kamalteatr.ru/





  • Kazan Tatar State Theatre of Young Spectator

    Location: Kazan, Peterburgskaya St, 55б

    The theatre began its` activity as a dramatic studio to the Kazan Russian Theatre of Young Spectator, but in 1991 it obtained a state status. Since that time the theatre began to implement direction of classical and modern dramaturgic plays predominategly for children of preschool and school ages. The repertory also includes the plays for adults.

    For more information visit http://karievteatr.ru/


  • State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, prospekt H.Tufana, 15 (4/16-a)

    Opening of the Naberezhnye Chelny Tatar Drama Theatre occured on December 21, 1990. Nowadays the theatre presents a wide spectrum of modern dramaturgic and classical spectacles in Tatar language.

    For more information visit https://vk.com/club24677145 




  • Literary Museum of Gabdulla Tukay

    Location: Kazan, G.Tukay Str. 74

    Opened in 1986 as the National Museum of Tatarstan affiliate. The poet's life and development is shown by means of the genuine typical exhibits of that epoch. The museum houses unique memorabilia.


    For more information visit https://g-tukay.tatmuseum.ru/



  • Sharif Kamal's Memorial Flat

    Location: Kazan, Ostrovsky Str. 15

    Affiliate of the Republican National Museum of Tatarstan.
    Established as the National Museum affiliate in 1944 in the house where the writer lived since 1928. In 2019 the museum was opened as the House of the Tatar Book, following a thorough reconstruction. Since then an official name is the Museum of the History of Tatar Literature with the memorial apartment of Sharif Kamal. 

    Sharif Kamal lived in this house from 1918 until his death in 1942. Here was created his most famous works "Matur tuganda" ("When beauty is born"), "Buhet ezlәgundu" ("In search of happiness"), and many others. 

    The museum as whole consists of  exhibition halls, a children's room, a library, mapping and coworking rooms, a bookstore, and a printing house. The exposition itself comprises reconstructed flat furnishings, the writer's memorabilias and archives.


    Internet: https://kamala.tatmuseum.ru/ 



  • Tatar folk calendar

    Tatar name   Meaning

    Enem kyrlach ae
    (Энем кырлач ае)

     Month of small frost
     February Bush ai
    (Буш ай)
     Empty (free) month
     March Nauruz ae
    (Науруз ае)
     Month of a new year
     April Yaz ae
    (Яз ае)
     Spring month
     May Saban ae
    (Сабан ае)
     Month of sowing
     June Zhei ae
    (Жэй ае)
     Summer month
     July Chelle ae
    (Челлэ ае)
     Month of heet and hot wind
     August Chelle ae
    (Челлэ ае)
     Month of heet and hot wind
     September Ashlyk sugu ae
    (Ашлык сугу ае)
     Month of harvesting
     October Keleu ae
    (Келэу ае)
     Month of lightnings and offerings
     November Kysh ae
    (Кыш ае)
     Winter month
     December Aga kyrlach ae
    (Ага кырлач ае)
     Month of big frost
  • Museum of Kryashens (Baptised Tatars)

    Location: Khozesanovo, Kaybitskyi district

    The Museum of Baptized Tatars of the Nagornaya Side was opened in early October 2020. It was an initiative of V.Danilov, an economist and ethnographer. 

    The collection of new artefacts is open, and everybody is welcome to contribute to an expositions.

    More info: https://vk.com/public164448413


    Museum of Kryashen

















  • Traditional Tatar clothes

    Nowadays people in Tatarstan, especially those living in cities, wear the same clothes as people from megapolices around the world. Though there are some features which belong only Tatars - tyubeteika, shawl, cotton headshawl and so.

    But few dacades ago the Tatar traditional costum was different. Traditional clothes of men consisted of a broad and long shirtsleeve (kyul'mek), easy with straight backs dressing gowns (yshtan), and a camsole (kamzun). In winter cold time men dressed in fur coats (tun) or multon coats (tulup). Men’s headgears were tyubeteika, round fur caps, malahay, and hats - in summer and spring; felt and fur hats in winter (burek). Bukhara dressing gowns were also popular (chapan) and scarfs, as outer clothing had no high and turn down collars.

    Traditional female clothes had much in common with men’s clothing. The main parts were a long shirt (kyul'mek) and trousers (yshtan). Female clothing was richly decorated with embroidery and trim. Women also wore camsoles made of velvet and an apron. A special element of Tatar women’s clothing was a kalphak. The Tatar women had a variety of headgears: different kinds of shawls (yaulyk), ear-flaps, etc. The Tatars also wore leather boots (kata, chitek, kevesh) and multicoloured shoes. Young women also wore breast ornaments made from corals and coins. The Tatar girls walked with an uncovered head, the adult girls and women always carried cotton shawls.

    Source: http://costumer.narod.ruSource: http://costumer.narod.ruSource: http://www.radostno.ru/Source: http://gemslady.clan.suSource: http://gemslady.clan.suSource: http://kult-mus.narod.ruSource: http://www.museum.nnov.ruSource: http://www.tataroved.ruSource: http://www.tatarmoscow.ruSource: http://www.tatarmoscow.ruTatar boots   Source: http://www.nizgar.ruSource: http://www.tmk.kzTyubeteika   Source: http://luiza-m.narod.ru


  • Chak-chak museum

    Location: Ulitsa Parizhskoy Kommuny,18, Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russia


    The Chak-Chak Museum is all about the wonder of Tatar cuisine - Chak-chak. Here you may learn not only making this delicacy but also meet other Tatar traditional dishes with a cup of aromatic tea from a hot samovar.

    It is advised to make an appointment in advance, in order to avoid ocasional overcrowding.


    internet: https://chak-chak.museum 

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/muzeino/ 

    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chakchakmuseum/ 



  • Local history museum of Aktanyshskyi district

    Location: Prospekt Mira 5, Aktanysh, Aktanyshskyi district

    The museum was founded  on May 17, 1975, by local volunteers.

    The collection cocnsists of artefacts representing history of Aktanysh and the district from ancient times to nowadays. There are ten expositions of most significant items. The expositions are dedicated to nature and history of Aktanysh, famous people of the district, and other impostant aspects of development of Aktanyshskyi district.

    For more information visit https://museumakt.wordpress.com



  • Local history museum of Alkeevskyi district, n.a. S.M. Lysenkov

    Location: Bazarnye Mataki, Alkeevskyi district,Tatarstan, Russia

    The museum was founded in 2004, and opened in 2008. The museum is located in a building built in 1814. The museum is admitted to the Association of Cosmonautics Museums of the Russian Federation.

    the museum's expositions are dedicated to the district's rich history - archaeological finds, preserved monuments of history and culture dating back to the Paleolithic. The main and biggest part of the collection is represented by items of archeology, numismatics, ethnography, natural science collection, history of technology. 


    Internet: https://alkeevskiy.tatarstan.ru/informyzei.htm