location Tukaevsky district

location Tukaevsky district

  • Chally ancient settlement (Challinskoe gorodishche)

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, Tukaevsky district

    The settlement is located on the river Kama near to the Orlovka village. During excavations here metal ploughshares of Bulgar make have been found revealing the early development here of metallurgy and ploughing in agriculture.

    This settlement is dated by archaeologists to the time of the Golden Horde (13th-14th centuries). But it is entirely possible that Bulgars lived here in an earlier period considering that on the river Ik, where it is joined by the river Menzelya, there were Bulgar fortifications where they halted the first invasion of Russia by Mongols in 1223.

    It is known that in the Golden Horde period on the territories occupied by the Tatar Mongols agriculture ceased. It is difficult to suppose that in fleeing from the enraged hordes the Bulgars could have taken their metal agricultural implements from their earlier places of habitation to new ones unknown to them. It therefore seems more likely that the Chally settlement arose when the Great Bulgar state was an independent state, what was before 1236-1237. The settlement was destroyed by the armies of one of the last of the descendants of Genghis Khan – Tokhtamysh and his conqueror Tamerlan, which passed through here in 1395, or else by the Kazan Khans, who seized this part of the Kama short after them (in the first half of the 15th century.

     

     

  • Nizhnyaya (Lower) Kama National Park in Tukaevsky district

    Location: Tukaevsky district

    There are several roads that lead to the Belous village – the centre of the park. The way goes through the famous ship-mast forests of the Borovetskyi Trakt in which virtually every kind of forest in Tatarstan is represented. The banks of the Kama in this region have dozens of archaeological monuments including those from Mesolite and Bronze Ages.

  • The Bet'ki fortress

    Location: Tukaevsky district, the Bet’ki village

    The fortress was a strong point for Russian colonisation in the Zakam’e region. It arose at the beginning of the 17th century that is earlier than the one at Chelny. The Bet’ki fortress existed until 1621 when the peasants from Elabuga led by F.Popov settled in these parts and founded a new settlement at Mys Chalna. Traces of the fortress have been preserved in the centre of the village.