cultural tourism

cultural tourism

  • National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan

    Location: Kazan, Kremlevskaya Str. 2

    Opened in 1895 as Kazan City Public Museum. The museum was based on the collection of A.F. Likhachev, a local lore scholar. The Museum is a treasury of the Republic's museum valuables. Museum stock numbers over 700,000 items of Tatarstan and world culture.
    Since 1981 it has become a museum association incorporating 72 museum affiliates of historical, local lore, literary and memorial character.

    For more information visit



  • Nazib Zhiganov Memorial Flat

    Location: Kazan, M.Krasnaya Str. 14-1

    Nazib Zhiganov was one of the founders of the modern professional Tatar musical art. Many establishments and organisations of musical culture in Tatarstan such as the Kazan Conservatory is now an academy, the Tatar Opera and Ballet Theatre, the State Symphonic Orchestra, the Union of Composers of the Republic, and the Lycée at the conservatory were created with his participation. Zhiganov wrote eight operas, three ballets, and many symphonies and compositions. His works represent balanced combination of Tatar, Russian, and European musical heritage. 


    For more information visit and 



  • Nikol'sko-Baranskie ancient settlements I and II

    Location: Alekseevsky district

    This site is an area with adjacent monuments of the 10th-13th centuries covering 93 hectares.



  • Old-Kazan (Iske-Kazansky) historical-cultural museum and natural reserve

    Location: Vysokogorsky district, the Kamaevo village surroundings,

    This place is closely linked to events in the history of the Bulgar-Tatar people. According to historical sources and a popular legend, Old-Kazan was founded not far from a large settlement which arose in pre-Mongol times by sons of the Bulgar Khan Abdulla, Alin-Bek and Altyn-Bek.

    Old-Kazan nowadays is represented by two principal archaeological monuments: the Kamaevo settlement with an area of more than 6 hectares and the Russko-Urmatskoe settlement of 124 hectares located between the villages of Kamaevo and Russky Urmat. The Kamaevo site contains the remains of the political centre, the Kremlin of old Kazan, the site at Russky Urmat, the remains of the craft and trading quarter of the town.

    During archaeological digs here various ornaments have been found, ceramics and weapons, coins and many other. It is known that in the period preceding the formation of the Kazan Khanate there was a centre for minting gold coinage here.





  • Peshchishchensky geological sections

    Location: Verkhneuslonsky district, surroundings of the Peshchishchi village

    The section represents a natural formation laying bare a classical section of the Permian formation in the east of the Russian platform. There are fossils of ancient creatures have been preserved, imprints of ancient fish, mollusks, water lilies and seaweed containing minerals; varieties of gypsum, calcium and quarts crystals, lumps of silicon, and fusions of chalcedony.



  • Pyanoborskyi burial ground

    Location: Agryzsky district, the Krasnyi Bor village

    The site is located in the centre of the village of Krasnyi Bor (until the 1920s – Pyanyi Bor). The place is well known because of the Pyanobor archaeological culture, what takes name from this village. Here on the Kama in the lower reaches of the Belaya and Ik rivers the successors of the Anan’ino tribes of the Pyanobor culture, the last of the tribes of the Finno-Ugric group to develop in this place. The clan – tribal organisation of the tribe – was still in place based on large patriarchal families which united into patronymic groups, while the family commune was developing and property stratification and patriarchal slavery were becoming more pronounced (2nd century BC to 5th century AD). On the threshold of the new era Sarmatians again came from the south into the steppe regions of Zakam’e and other tribes came to the Volga as far as Kazan.

    In the 3rd and 4th centuries began the epoch of the Great Migration of the Peoples. During the first centuries the huge masses of Huns wandered over the steppes of the southern Urals. Under pressure from them Turkic and Ugric tribes began to move across the Urals to the north and reached the Kama. Here, in the region between the mouths of the Belaya and Vyatka rivers where the greater part of the Pyanobor tribes lived, the newcomers destroyed and burned villages, driving out and assimilating the native population. The Pyanobor tribes in panic flight migrated to the Vyatka, the lower reaches of the Kama and the Volga beyond as far as the Rivers Sura and Oka where they became the basis for the formation of Mordvinians and Mari.

    Collections of finds from the burial ground are in many Russian museums. One of largest is in the State Joint Museums of the Republic of Tatarstan.



  • Russian drama theatre "Masterovye"

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny

    Address: Ulitsa Akademika Rubanenko, 7, Naberezhnye Chelny, Republic of Tatarstan, Russia

    The Drama Theater began it's activity as an amateur theatre in 1976. Since that time it developed its direction to classical and modern drama plays in Russian for adults and children. Nowadays the theatre is on of the cultural centres of the city as well as of the republic. 

    For more information visit

    Russian drama theatre "Masterovye"













  • Saidashev Museum

    Location: Kazan, Gorky Str. 13

    Opened in 1993 as the RT National Museum affiliate. The museum occupies a two-storied outbuilding in the yard of G.Kamal Tatar Academic Theatre, where the composer lived from 1928 to 1954 and created his best works.
    Small music salon hosts chamber parties and musical evenings.

    For more information visit




  • Shalyapin Palace Hotel

    Shalyapin Palace Hotel 

    гостиница «Шаляпин Палас Отель»



    Kazan, Universitetskaya Str. 7


    +7 800-1000-7-80


    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



  • Sharif Kamal's Memorial Flat

    Location: Kazan, Ostrovsky Str. 15

    Affiliate of the Republican National Museum of Tatarstan.
    Established as the National Museum affiliate in 1944 in the house where the writer lived since 1928. In 2019 the museum was opened as the House of the Tatar Book, following a thorough reconstruction. Since then an official name is the Museum of the History of Tatar Literature with the memorial apartment of Sharif Kamal. 

    Sharif Kamal lived in this house from 1918 until his death in 1942. Here was created his most famous works "Matur tuganda" ("When beauty is born"), "Buhet ezlәgundu" ("In search of happiness"), and many others. 

    The museum as whole consists of  exhibition halls, a children's room, a library, mapping and coworking rooms, a bookstore, and a printing house. The exposition itself comprises reconstructed flat furnishings, the writer's memorabilias and archives.





  • Shishkin Memorial House

    Location: Elabuga, Naberezhnaya Str. 12

    The only country's museum of the prominent Russian artist, a founder of realistic landscape painting.
    Opened in 1960 in the house of the Shishkins where the artist spent his childhood and youth and which he later visited on repeated occasions in the days of his creative maturity. The appearance and furnishings of the living rooms were restored and the genuine works of the artist are displayed there.


    for more information visit



  • State Ansemble of Song and Dance

    Location: Kazan, Ostrovskogo Str. 2 

    For more information visit



  • State Museum of Fine Arts of the Republic of Tatarstan

    Location: Kazan, K.Marx Str. 64 (see the map below

    The museum was founded in 1958 on the basis of the Picture Gallery of the State Museum of Tatarstan.
    The museum's collection numbers over 21,000 paintings, drawings and sculptures. The largest collection is of drawings including those of Western European origin comprising works by artists of the Netherlands, Flanders, Italy, Germany such as Duhrer, Rembrandt, Luca of Leiden, Rubens' Studio. Unique collection of the Old Russian paintings of the late 15th - the early 19th centuries. Among the Russian Art collection are the works of D. Levitsky, I. Aivazovsky, K. Bryullov, V. Tropinin, A. Savrasov, V. Polenov, I. Repin, V. Serov, etc. Remarkable collection of I.I. Shishkin. Small collection of the Russian avant-garde artists of the late 19th - the early 20th centuries. Rich and diversified art of Tatarstan including unique and the world`s largest collection of N.I. Feshin's paintings.


    State Museum of Fine Arts of the Republic of Tatarstan, Kazan































    Photo: Andrey Roshektaev



    back to the top


  • State Puppet Theatre

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, Novyi Gorod, pr. Mira, 18/09

    Puppet theatre was grounded in 1988. The reperotir presents programs in Tatar and Russian languages for children at age of 3-12 years old.

    For more information visit




  • State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, prospekt H.Tufana, 15 (4/16-a)

    Opening of the Naberezhnye Chelny Tatar Drama Theatre occured on December 21, 1990. Nowadays the theatre presents a wide spectrum of modern dramaturgic and classical spectacles in Tatar language.

    For more information visit 




  • Suvar ancient settlement (gorodishche)

    Location: Spassky district,  the Tatarskyi Gorodok village

    The cultural layer of one of the major towns of Volga Bulgaria recorded since the 10th century. The site of the settlement is toughly triangular in shape (the circumference is about 4.5 km in length) and surrounded by ramparts and ditches on three sides (north-eastern, south-western and southern). The clay mixed with other materials and log dwellings, the brick palace and also certain construction features of defensive installations have been studied by archaeological expeditions. The archaeological materials obtained and written sources prove that the period when the town was flourishing relates to the 11th-12th centuries. After the Mongol invasion Suvar went into decline and by the end of the 14th century had fallen into neglect. Also of interest are other archaeological monuments of different epochs and also the natural landscape: the Armenian colony (the 13th-14th centuries), the Greek chamber (the 14th century), the Agai Bazar site (Neolithic, the 14th-15th centuries), and Rabiga-Kul’.

  • Sviyazhsk State Historical, Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve "Island-City Sviyazhsk"

    Location: Zelenodolsky district, Sviyazhsk (see the map below)

    The ensemble of buildings of the former town of Sviyazhsk has exceptional and universal value. It includes some of the original structures of the town, which have been preserved. One of them is the wooden Trinity (Troitskaya) Church (1551) with its interior and iconostasis, which is one of the few monuments of Russian wooden architecture of the 16th century to have survived. Next to it is the St. Nicholas (Nikolskaya) Church (1556). The Assumption (Uspenskaya) Church (1560) should be mention, which were built with the participation of the famous master stone mason Postnik Yakovlev (Barma), who created St. Basil’s on the Red Square in Moscow and the Kazan Kremlin. There are 1,080 m² of ancient frescoes have been preserved in the Assumption Cathedral, which for the breadth and variety of their biblical themes and the perfection of their execution are unequalled among the few surviving examples of fresco art of the 16th century. They differ substantially in their technique and use of colour from Novgorod, Pskov, Vladimir-Suzdal’ and Moscow fresco painting.

    It is also unique as an incomparable example of ancient Russian wooden town-building technique and for the sheer scale of the operation to construct and settle the town fortress (75,000 people built it in 24 days) there has been no equivalent anywhere in the world.

    For more information visit


    Sviyazhsk - town-island, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourismPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-island, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourismPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-island, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourismPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev

    Sviyazhsk - town-island, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourismPhoto: Andrey Roshektaev


     back to the top


  • Syukeevo group of caves

    Location: Kamsko-Ustyinsky district, few kilometres above Kamskoe Ust’ye

    It is a unique speleological complex of karst caves on the right bank of the Volga. The group consists of the Rudnichnaya (80 m), Konodol’skaya (320 m), Bogorodskaya (36 m), Yur’evskaya (410 m), and Zimov’evskaya (30 m) caves. The complex was discovered in 1971 and open for tourists. Strictly forbidden breaking off stalagmites and stalactites.



  • Tanakeevka burial ground

    Location: Spassky district, the Tanakeevka village

    This monument (the 9th-10th centuries) is one of the most important in Eastern Europe and crucial in illuminating significant questions of the history of Volga Bulgaria, such as the timing of the appearance in the Middle Volga region of this new political entity, the development of a general Volga culture as the result of interaction of various cultural components, the nature and timing of the appearance of Muslim rites, and so on.



  • The Bet'ki fortress

    Location: Tukaevsky district, the Bet’ki village

    The fortress was a strong point for Russian colonisation in the Zakam’e region. It arose at the beginning of the 17th century that is earlier than the one at Chelny. The Bet’ki fortress existed until 1621 when the peasants from Elabuga led by F.Popov settled in these parts and founded a new settlement at Mys Chalna. Traces of the fortress have been preserved in the centre of the village.