cultural tourism

cultural tourism

  • Bolgar Historical and Architectural Museum-Reserve

    Location: Spassky district, Bolgar

    The Bolgar reserve is situated to the south of the town. Nowadays this place is not only a most important tourist centre and a constant object of interest for scholars, historians, archaeologists, orientalists, art historians and so on but also a place of pilgrimage for Muslims seeking to complete a small "hadj" to holy places. Over the centuries the architectural monuments which have come down to us have stirred the imagination of many people. Peter the Great who was here in 1722 issued an edict for the protection of this territory. Catherine the Second while visiting these places in 1767 responded in the following words: "…whatever has remained here was built of very good stone, the Tatars show great honour to their place and travel to these ruins to pray to God". But a certain persecutor, Archbishop Luka of Kazan under the late Empress Elizaveta, grew envious and destroyed a great deal and out of his built a church and cellars and used it for a monastery. Although there is an edict of Peter the Great to do no harm and not to destroy this ancient place.

    The Bolgar architectural-archaeological complex covers 380 hectares. It consists of the Bolgar settlement (the 10th-15th centuries) – a cultural layer of the centre of Volga Bolgaria – the town of Bolgar, the economic, political and cultural centre of Volga Bolgaria. And also the Bolgar ulus (nomad camp of settlement) of the Golden Horde within the bounds of the fortifications in the form of a rampart and moat 5.63 km long, which surrounded its territory from south, west and east from the 13th to the beginning of the 14th centuries.

    There remnants of monumental stone and brick structures of the second half of the 13th to 14th centuries – The Northern and Eastern Mausoleums, the Chyornaya (Black) Chamber, the Malyi (Small) Minaret, the Khan’s Burial Vault – have been preserved on the territory of the settlement. As well as stone and brick ruins of buildings of public and religious significance like the Cathedral Mosque, the Red, White and Greek Chambers, The Khan’s Bathhouse and mausoleums. They have survived from the once populous town of Bolgar in the period of its prosperity in the second half of the 13th and first half of the 14th centuries.

    At the present time more than 100 remnants of ancient buildings have been identified. The ancient part of the town from Bolgar times in the north-eastern part of the monument dating back to the 10th and 11th centuries has been discovered, the growth of the territory of the settlement has been traced and dwelling, artisan and also architectural and defensive buildings have been studied. This is a Muslim holy place, a place of pilgrimage as well as a place for tourist excursions and a place for holding international events (the 1100 anniversary of the adoption of Islam by Volga Bulgaria, and the Ist and IInd World Congresses of Tatars, etc).

    For more infomation visit https://vbolgar.ru/?lang=en

     

     

  • "Ekiyat" Tatar State Puppet Theatre

    Location: Kazan, Peterburgskaya St, 57

    "Ekiyat" ("Fairy tale")Tatar Puppet Theatre was founded in 1934. It is one of the leading puppet theatres of the country. About 100 people works in the theatre, 25 of them are professional actors, performing both in Russian and Tatar languages. The repertoire of the theatre includes performances for children of different age and for students.

    Since 1974 "Ekiyat" Tatar State Puppet Theatre is a member of the International Organisation of puppet theatres - UNIMA

    For more information visit http://ekiatkazan.ru/

     

     

     

     

  • Almetyevsk Picture Gallery n.a. G. Stefanovskyi

    Location: Almetyevsk, Stroitelei pr.35

     

    Established on the initiative of Gennady A. Stefanovsky, an art school principal. His collection comprising over 600 items laid the foundation of the gallery. In 1987, the gallery was incorporated into the Fine Arts Museum as an affiliate.

     


     

  • Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Almetyevsk, Lenina Str. 37 (see the map below)
     
    The history of the Almetyevsk tatar Drama theatre originates from 1944. Modern dramaturgic creations form the base of theatre`s repertoir.

    For more information visit http://almetteatr.ru/

     

    Almetyevsk State Tatar Drama Theatre, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    to the top

  • Amutbayev Menzelinsk State Tatar Drama Theatre

    Location: Menzelinsk, 423700, M. Jalilya Str. 19

    The Menzelinsk Tatar Drama Theatre was opened in April, 1935.

    For more information visit http://minzalateatr.ru/

     

     

  • Anan'ino burial ground

    Location: Elabuzhsky district, near to the Anan'ino village

    The site is situated on the river Toima. This world famous archaeological monument of the first millennium BC had given its name to an entire Iron Age culture. The burial ground was discovered by the famous archaeological scholar from Moscow University Professor K.I. Nevostruev with the active assistance of I.V.Shishkin (the father of the artist I.I.Shishkin). Academician Yuryi Gotet believed that in the first millennium BC a major trade centre existed here, the final point of one of the northern branches of the Great Silk Road. From here furs from the north travelled south – to Central Asia and Persia, east – to China and India, and west – to Byzantium, the Arab Caliphates and further on to Europe. On the right bank of the Kama in the area of Elabuga was the centre of tribes of the Anan’ino culture going back to the early Iron Age. These tribes covered a huge territory from Sura to Vetluga in the west to the upper reaches of the Kama and Belaya in the east.

    During that period there was a growth in population, the appearance of dwellings above ground, large settlements along rivers and arise in the cultural level. The Anan’ino people engaged in slash and burn agriculture, fishing and bee keeping and their articles of bronze, iron and also ceramics were notable for their high quality, evidence of the beginnings of applied art. The religious beliefs of the tribes were expressed in the cult of the sun and water and worship of various animals. The clan and tribal society began to disintegrate as military tribal and clan leaders emerged and there were wars of various kinds in which some of the prisoners were enslaved.

    The Anan’ino tribes maintained close links with their neighbours, the inhabitants of the Urals, the Upper Volga and with the Scythians. During excavations of the burial grounds and settlements articles made by Greeks and Egyptians have been found as well as those of Central Asian and Iranian origin.

     

     

  • Baki Urmanche Museum

    Location: Kazan, Shchapov Str. 20

     

  • Balynguz cemetery

    Location: Alekseevsky district

    This cemetery is of the 13th-16th centuries. Dozens of gravestones were known were as early as the 18th century (some of them are now in museums). Traces have survived of white stone foundations of burial vaults. According to legend and historical research, it is known that at this site burials of important people took place not only during the period of the Golden Horde but also during the Kazan Khanate. A small Tatar village was established as early as the 17th century beyond the Toretskyi ravine to protect the graves and mausoleums, which were considered holy.

     

     

  • Bilyar ancient settlement (Bilyarskoe gorodishche)

    Location: Alekseevsky district, Bilyar

    The cultural layer of a major medieval city, the capital of Volga Bulgaria from 10th century to 1236. It was a centre of economic, political and cultural life known by the name of Bilyr, Bulyar and in the Russian chronicles Velikyi Gorod (the Great City). This is a whole complex of archaeological monuments, which includes, apart from the fortified parts, extensive non-fortified suburbs, town necropolis-cemeteries and estates beyond the town. All this complex, the area of which amounts to almost 800 hectares, occupies a large roughly right-angled square, surrounded by concentrically arranged earth ramparts and ditches – the remains of defensive fortifications. The latter divide the territory into two parts – the inner and outer city. Two lines of ramparts and ditches 5 km in length surrounded the inner city with an inhabited area on 116 hectares. The outer city, with an inhabited area of 374 hectares, by three lines of fortification more than 10 km long, the overall area of the ancient settlement together with fortifications amounts to about 700 hectares. It has been archeologically established that as early as the 10th-11th centuries the town occupied an impressively large area and from the very beginning had the division into two parts. The city perished in the autumn of 1236 as a result of the Mongol conquest. It never recovered after that.

    A number of monuments of Bulgar monumental architecture have been discovered in the central part of the inner city. The most important are the remnants of the cathedral mosque consisting of two parts: wooden and white stone with a large separately standing minaret (as early as the 18th century researchers had noted the remains of the walls, the pillar-minaret and the portals). The overall area of the prayer halls of the mosque amounted to about 2500 m². Among the remains of other structures of particular note are the brick building with central (under-floor) heating in the close vicinity of the mosque, and the brick caravanserai and baths.

    In the middle of 17th century the fortifications of the Bilyar Gorodishche were included in the system of defensive lives of the Zakam’e line and an encampment of musketeers (strel’tsy) was established here under the name of Bilyarsk suburb, which later grew into the village of Bilyarsk.

    The archaeological monuments of Bilyarsk:

    • Bilyar trading quarter (posad) (10th-13th centuries)
    • Bilyar burial grounds (10th-13th centuries)
    • Bilyar mosque complex (10th-12th centuries) is one of the biggest buildings of medieval Eastern Europe known today – the area of its interior was no less than 2000 m². Preserved to the level of foundations.
    • Bilyar feudal lord’s house (10th-13th centuries) preserves to the level of the foundations and the foundations of the walls. It was equipped with an extensive system of underground heating. The earliest brick dwelling to have been discovered in the central part of Eastern Europe.
    • Bilyar "caravanserai" (10th-13th centuries) remains of the walls and foundations of the brick building, which had under-floor heating and of the courtyard paved in brick.
    • Bilyar "bathhouse" (11th-13th centuries)
    • Bilyar well (12th-13th centuries) is one of the 12 wells in the ancient settlement has been studied. The depth is 7.6 m it was restored and subjected to conservation measures in the 19th century.

     

     

  • Bilyar State historical-archaeological museum and nature reserve

    Location: Alekseevsky district, Bilyar

    The complex covers an area of 3,840 hectares including an original set of surviving natural features. They characterise the natural conditions of the wooded steppe area of eastern Europe from an historical point of view. A concentrated array of various archaeological monuments from almost all epochs, from the Bronze Age to the late medieval period, remains of felled tree barriers of the Russian State in the 17th century. Historical and cultural monuments linked to the names of the Academicians Butlerov and Arbuzov and others. In 1992 a museum reserve was set up with the aim to preserve the complex.

     

     

  • Bol'she-Tarkhanskyi complex

    Location: Tetyushsky district

    The complex consists of the Bol’she-Tarkhanskyi settlement is the biggest and best fortified settlement of the Imen’kovo culture so far known. The Bol’shie Tarchany graves of the 8th-9th centuries located partly in the village and on the right bank of the Tarkhanka river. Both graveyards (more than 400 burials have been discovered) were lest by the early Bulgars. On the northeast outskirts of the village is an ancient cemetery "Tashbilge" (Stone sign) where you can see a Bulgar gravestone of 1314 with an engraved calligraphic inscription executed in cufic handwriting and crowned by a lancet arch.

     

     

  • Bolgar State Reserve of History and Architecture

    Location: Spassky district, Bolgary, Nazarova Str. 67

    Established in 1969 with the aim to preserve historical and cultural monuments of Middle Volga and Kama peoples, the reserve comprises monuments of the largest cities in Volga-Kama Bolgari, Bolgar and Suvar. As a subdivision, the reserve incorporates the Spassk-Kuibyshev City Museum of History.
    Museum stock of over 80,000 items being mostly the items of archaeological excavations.

    Internet: https://vbolgar.ru/?lang=en

     

  • Boratynskyi Museum

    Location: Kazan, Korolenko St., 26, and Gorky Str. 25/28


    The museum is an affiliate of the Tatarstan National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan.
    Established as a community school museum in 1977. Since 1983 it was incorporated into the Republican National Museum as a affiliate. In 1991, the exhibition "Family Album Pages" was opened in the reconstructed wing of the Boratynskys' estate on Gorky Street. The exhibition is based on the genuine items of that time. There is also a small collection of the Boratynskyi's memorabilia exposed at the museum.

    Internet: http://boratynskiy.tatmuseum.ru/   
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1762666090673852/ 

     

     

  • Bugulma State Russian Drama Theatre

    Location: Bugulma, Lenin Street, 28

    For more information visit http://bugulmateatr.ru/

     

     

     

  • Bulgar fortification's remains

    Location: Elabuzhsky district

    The place is known to the local population by the name Kotlovskaya shishka (Kotlovka basin bump). Once an ancient settlement was here, possibly in the middle of the first millennium AD. Later this high ground, well and naturally defended and convenient for observing the surrounding countryside, was used by the Bulgars in the 12th century as one of the military outposts of the state to the northeast

     

     

     

  • Castle of Khan Bairash

    Location: Zainsky district, the Bugulma-Belebeevo upland

    On Mount Lysaya (Bald Hill) has been found an epigraphic monument with characters carved on stone, relating to the epoch of the Mongol conquests. On the stone the name of a Bulgar has been carved, a defender of the motherland against the conquerors. According to the historian and chronicler of the 17th century Khissam ed-Din, the son of Sherif ed-Din, the hill was the site of the castle of Khan Bairash whose guest in the winter of 1395-1396 was the celebrated Timur Alsak or Tamerlane. On the slopes of the hill diggings by 18th century miners have been found: they were digging for ore for the Ishteryalovo copper melting plant.

     

     

  • Chak-chak museum

    Location: Kazan, Ulitsa Parizhskoy Kommuny,18

     

    The Chak-Chak Museum is all about the wonder of Tatar cuisine - Chak-chak. Here you may learn not only making this delicacy but also meet other Tatar traditional dishes with a cup of aromatic tea from a hot samovar.

    It is advised to make an appointment in advance, in order to avoid ocasional overcrowding.

     

    internet: https://chak-chak.museum 

    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/muzeino/ 

    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chakchakmuseum/ 

     

     

  • Chally ancient settlement (Challinskoe gorodishche)

    Location: Naberezhnye Chelny, Tukaevsky district

    The settlement is located on the river Kama near to the Orlovka village. During excavations here metal ploughshares of Bulgar make have been found revealing the early development here of metallurgy and ploughing in agriculture.

    This settlement is dated by archaeologists to the time of the Golden Horde (13th-14th centuries). But it is entirely possible that Bulgars lived here in an earlier period considering that on the river Ik, where it is joined by the river Menzelya, there were Bulgar fortifications where they halted the first invasion of Russia by Mongols in 1223.

    It is known that in the Golden Horde period on the territories occupied by the Tatar Mongols agriculture ceased. It is difficult to suppose that in fleeing from the enraged hordes the Bulgars could have taken their metal agricultural implements from their earlier places of habitation to new ones unknown to them. It therefore seems more likely that the Chally settlement arose when the Great Bulgar state was an independent state, what was before 1236-1237. The settlement was destroyed by the armies of one of the last of the descendants of Genghis Khan – Tokhtamysh and his conqueror Tamerlan, which passed through here in 1395, or else by the Kazan Khans, who seized this part of the Kama short after them (in the first half of the 15th century.

     

     

  • Christian cemetery with chapel

    Location: Alekseevsky district, the Butlerovka village

    This area is about 10 hectares. The chapel has been preserved here together with the burial vault of the famous scholar A.M.Butlerov. There are other archaeological monuments from various epochs – ancient village settlements, burial mounds, graveyards, and also the natural landscape of meadows, the forest tract along the river Malyi Cheremshan and its tributaries. Among the monuments if the Bol’she-Tiganskyi graveyard reliably known to have been left by the ancient Hungarian tribes which lid a nomadic existence between the 7th-9th centuries in the Volga and Belaya rivers within the boundaries of the legendary Great Hungary.

     

     

  • Cidatel of Dzhuketau

    Location: Chistopolsky district,  at Danaurovka (see the map below

    The place preserved the remains of a Volga-Kama Bulgar town that arose in the pre-Mongol epoch. Dzhuketau was one of the trade centres of the Bulgar State. The wealth of the town and its inhabitants attracted various conquerors and bands of brigands especially the Novgorod’ ushkuiniki. In 1380 a band of Novgorod outlaw led by Anfal Mikitin captured the town and looted it. The local prince complained to the Khan and the letter charged the princes of Suzdal’, Rostov and Nizhnyi Novgorod with capturing the bandits and executing them which was done. But in 1391 the Tsarevich Berkut devastated the Russian villages along the river Vyatka. The people of Vyatka in revenge and again with the help of the river pirates once more looted Dzhuketau. In 1399, in response to the destruction of Nizhnyi Novgorod by the Golden Horde, the Moscow Prince Vasilyi the First organised a new raid on the town. In the end the town could not withstand all these disasters and ceased to exist.

     

    Dzhuketau, Tatarstan, Russia, tourism, travel, cities, districts, sightseeing, tourist, visitor, tourist attractions, places to visit, monuments, local culture, cultural tourism, local tourism 

     

    "Historical and cultural area Dzhuketau was established by the decry of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Tatarstan from 20.08.1999, which declares the cultural complex Dzhuketau, a monument of archaeological significance, as a historical and cultural reserve-area, in order to preserve the remains of the one of the Volga-Kama Bulgaria and Ulusa Dzhuchi cities, and its further study, the stimulation of cultural and educational activities and enhance the cultural education of the population, and regulation of the control over land-use, urban development, economic or any other activities on the territory.

    Historical and cultural reserve-area "Dzhuketau" includes:

    • Ancient settlement “Dzhuketau” (the 10-15th centuries) – remains of cultural stratum of one of the largest feudal districts, craft and shopping centres the Volga-Kama Bulgaria, and the Bulgarian medieval city – the centre of the Dzhuketau principality. This is one of the few historically known and precisely localised Bulgarian cities. Dzhuketau was mentioned in the Russian chronicles as Zhukotin alongside the Bolgar city, and was pointed by the Western-European maps as Sacetim. The city was ravaged by the Batyi troops in 1236. In XIV-XV centuries had been repeatedly attacked by ushkuyniki (editor: river pirates) and fell into ruin. There are still some parts preserved: fortress’ site (citadel of the city) floor with three high ramparts and two moats. The settlement is currently occupied be an elevator and severely damaged.
    • Settlement “Danaurovskoe” and burial ground (the second half of the 10th century) - at the western posad (trading quarter).
    • Settlement “Krutogorskoe” (the 10-13th centuries) and burial ground (the 11th century) – at the eastern posad.

    Nowadays the boarders of the reserve-area Dzhuketau are approved alongside three modes of its maintenance and use: reservational (economiv use is forbidden), limited use, and common (all-purpose) use (use is not limited). In the future, it is planned to create the State historical and archaeological reserve on the base of Dzhuketau".

    Source:http://rt-museum.narod.ru (Kaporskyi Aleksey)

     

     

     

    back to the top