The administrative centre of the district is Mamadysh. Area – 2600,7 square km. The district was founded in 1930. The city of Mamadysh is situated on the right bank of the river Vyatka (a tributary of the Kama river), 167 km to the east from Kazan, 80 km to the south-east from the railway station Kukmor. There are two piers in the district, on the Kama and Vyatka rivers.