The administrative centre of the district is Leninogorsk. Area – 1811,3 square km. The district was founded in 1930. The city of Leninogorsk is situated in the south-east of the republic, on the bank of the river Stepnoy Zai, 322 km from Kazan. There is a railway station – Pismyanka. Leninogorsk was founded in the 18th century as a village of Novaya Pismyanka, in 1951-1955 – a settlement, since 1955 – Leninogorsk.