The administrative centre of the district is Laishevo. Area – 2169,5 square km. The district was founded in 1965. The city of Laishevo is situated on the bank of the Kuibyshev reservoir, 62 km to the southeast of Kazan. In the past Laishevo was one of the cities of the Volga Bulgar State. Since 1926 Laishevo was a village, in 1950 transformed into a settlement, in 2004 – it is a city.