The administrative centre of the district is Bavly. Area – 1210,4 square km. The district was founded in 1965. The city of Bavly is situated on the bank of the river Bavly (a tributary of the Ik river), 369 km to the south-east from Kazan, 40 km to the south from railway station Yutaza. The settlement was founded in 1755, in 1950 was transformed into a big settlement, in 1998 – a city.