The administrative centre of the district is Almetyevsk. Area – 2500,2 square km. The district was founded in 1930. The city of Almetyevsk is situated on the slopes of Bugulma-Belebey heights, on the left bank of the river Zai (a tributary of the Kama river), 279 km to the south-east from Kazan, 13 km to the east from the railway station Almetyevsk. The settlement was founded in the 18th century, and in 1953 was transformed into a city.