The city of Leninogorsk is situated in the south-east of the republic, on the bank of the river Stepnoy Zai, 322 km from Kazan. There is a railway station – Pismyanka. Leninogorsk was founded in the 18th century as a village of Novaya Pismyanka, in 1951-1955 – a settlement, since 1955 – Leninogorsk. The town is the administrative centre of the Leninogorsky district. It is one of the main areas of oil and gas extraction.