The city of Almetyevsk is situated on the slopes of Bugulma-Belebey Upland, on the left bank of the river Zai (a tributary of the Kama river). The city is located 279 km to the south-east of Kazan, and 13 km to the east of the railway station Almetyevsk. The settlement was founded in the 18th century, and in 1953 was transformed into a city. The city is the administrative centre of the Almetyevsky district. It is a major centre of the republic’s oil industry. There are manufacturers of machinery and equipment for the oil industry and drilling companies. More official information about Almetyevsk you may find at here.
A bit of history of Almetyevsk
The history of the city dates back to the Tatar village of Almetyevo. It was founded around the 1720s by Tatars who moved to this area from the surrounding regions. Before the 19th century, the settlement had another name – Almyat-Mullino (the name was mentioned already back in 1735). The main occupations of the people living here were crafts, trade, cartage, agriculture, and cattle breeding.
Before the 19th century, the village of Almetyevsk was a town-like settlement with a town planning and spatial structure mostly of Muslim type. The centre of the village was represented by the main square, mosque and market. Further development of the village was stimulated by trade and crafts.
Modern Almetyevsk is the largest centre of the oil industry in the Republic of Tatarstan. Light and food industry enterprises are represented by: a confectionery and pasta factory, a dairy and cheese factory, a bakery, a cannery and a distillery, a hosiery factory and others. And it is certainly worth mentioning that Almetyevsk is the starting point of the Druzhba main oil pipeline.
In the suburbs of Almetyevsk, many recreational facilities are actively used by the local population. For instance, the public and sports complex “Sabantuy” includes a stadium, hippodrome, and a spring complex.
Coat of arms
not yet available